There's no questioning the love Yacht Club Games has for classic NES platformers. This game is one of the biggest nostalgia trips you'll experience today hands down. Game mechanics, 8-bit graphics, bosses with more sass than Dr. Robotnik; what more do you want? Challenge Mode? Achievements? Butt mode? Well, you're in luck! Shovel Knight hears your pleas, gamers. Once you beat the game, New Game+ is available for a spin. You keep all the relics, gold, and upgrades you managed to find from your previous run. However, enemies are considerably tougher, food to heal your wounds are almost non-existent, and gold is ripe for the digging. Feats (known to you knaves as 'achievements') are plentiful for the gamers that want a serious challenge, or the people who love to 100% every game they come across. Feats ranging from beating the game under 90 minutes, walking on spikes (that are instant kills) to collect some gold, to putting out your campfire. There's a feat for everyone.
A classic adventure story... not unique, until the twist at the end (no spoilers! I've said too much already).
The plot may be basic, and the map design is similar to any Mario Bros. game, but the amount of detail put into every stage design, animation, every character - pixel perfection is what YCG says - makes up for the lack of a complex plot.
This game is truly awesome! It's bold, fun, intuitive, and filled with retro love. 20/10 it'll be one of the most memorable games you'll play.
- The soundtrack for Shovel Knight can be ported to a NES cartridge and played on a NES.
- The developers used the same color pallette the software on the NES used.
- This game was funded entirely via Kickstarter, so Yacht Club didn't have to totally constrain their game by a publisher's desires. In layman's terms: This game was made for the fans, and funded by the fans!
- The original Mega Man composer, Manami Matsumae, helped Kaufman write the score to Shovel Knight. Kaufman has written music for Mighty Switch Force, Contra 4, Shantae, and Double Dragon Neon.
- This game is available for $14.99 on the Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, Steam, and can be played on windows, mac, and Linux.
- It will also be available to play in Australia, and Europe very soon as well!
- One of the reward level prizes for the kickstarter was an envelope filled with dirt from one of the levels in the game.
- There will be updates coming soon that include a battle mode, a challenge mode, a gender swap mode, and finally, a mode to play through the game as members from The Order of No Quarter.
It's Shoveling Time!
The Kickstarter YCG used to fund Shovel Knight.
YCG’s Twitter Account, for your tweeters.
YCG’s Facebook Account, for your Facebookers.
YCG’s Twitch Channel, for those who love game footage.
The Bandcamp page to download (FOR FREE) the awesome music in Shovel Knight created by the ever talented Jake Kaufman (with some help by the legendary composer of the Mega Man series, Manami Matsumae!)